The power of audience interaction is getting stronger by the hour. This interaction should be injected into your shows every 15-20 minutes for the best results. The bigger the star you make of your listeners the more attractive your radio station becomes. Listeners love this.
The best way to make this happen for both live and tracked shows is to create what we call a “Theatrical Prop” team. These are people who agree to let you call them to get comments that pertain to what you are talking about on your show. These are recorded for later use when you are live or tracked. These people can be coworkers, friends or relatives who take on the role of the average listener. These theatrical props will help condition your audience to participate as well. Be great and have fun! You can even use social media to recruit listeners to become a part you’re your “Show- Team.” Example:
Today, we are asking you to become a part of our WXYZ Show-Team. It’s very simple. Just text/email us your name & number, and the best time-window to call you. You will then be placed on the WXYZ Show-Team Roster! Please take 30 seconds to join the team. *You can add any other incentives you’d like to enhance this concept.
Art & Science
Good radio is always the correct mix of art and science. Too much science without art produces a precise but sterile station that doesn’t connect very well. Too much art without science produces creative radio without a sense of purpose. The key is knowing when to use each. Today, we thought it would be a good idea to lay out what this means in a practical sense: [Caution]… This could change what you have thought for many years!
1. With any strategy put science first and creativity second.
2. With tactics put creativity first and science second.
3. Use science when you need to impact the ear, rotations, positioning, etc.
4. Use creativity when you need to impact the mind, perception, recall, etc.
5. The science of your station is what puts the station on the listeners radar screen, and puts you on the format ladder.
6. The art of your station is what keeps you listeners coming back and helps them remember you and grow your ratings.
7. Just as the combination of work and play make you better, the combination of art and science makes your radio station better.
8. In all planning, avoid loving systems and using people to achieve a goal. Make sure it is exactly the opposite. You will grow beyond your expectations.